Antique Chinese "Kang" Table (5026) (Coffee Table), Circa 1800-1849
This Authentic Antique Chinese Kang Table is handcrafted using Ming Furniture workmanship of "Round Wrapped Round" Style. (圆包圆) There are three layers of waist just below the table top. The "waist" are made from separate piece of wood and carved in a "narrower waist" connecting the top and the body of the table in a very unique way. The legs of the table are used one single plank of elm wood and carved with deep lines to form a bamboo style. The table is handcrafted and structured with wooden pegs and tenon structure, which is the very traditional craftsmanship for furniture making in ancient China. Can be used as low coffee table, or any occasional table. Circa early of 19th century. Original patina and wear. Made from core of Elm wood with beautiful wood grain, the table is very solid and kept in excellent condition.
- This style of table was originally made for use on Chinese "Kang".
- ("Kang": In the northern part of China, Kang is a brick-constructed (can be heated in winter) platform, served as a bed and couch. People sat on Kang with their legs either folded or hanging over the side. Furniture such as low-legged desks, tables and cabinets made specifically for the "Kang" accommodated the many activities that took place there. At night, the furniture would be moved to the side of the Kang, and bedding would be brought out for sleeping on the Kang's surface.)
Size: W31" x D20" x H11"
- Authenticity Appraisal will be provided upon request.
- (All Sales are Final. No Return Policy.)
- Free Shipping to 48 Continental States. (Hawaii, Alaska and international buyers will pay their own freight and handling fee.)