Antique Chinese Ming Kang Table (5174) (low coffee table), Circa 1800-1849
This Antique Chinese Table is known as "Kang" Table in China. The table is handcrafted in elegant Ming "Waist" furniture Style. The "waist" just below the tabletop is made from a separate piece of wood and carved in a "narrower waist" connecting the tabletop and the table body in a very unique way. The table is crafted with simple and straight lines combined with deep curved legs. Made from Elm wood with beautiful wood grain, the table is solid and kept in excellent condition. The table is handcrafted and structured with wooden pegs and tenon structure, which is the very traditional craftsmanship for furniture making in ancient China. Can be used as low coffee table, or any occasional table. Circa early of 19th century. Original patina and wear.
- This style of table was originally made for use on Chinese "Kang".
- ("Kang": In the northern part of China, Kang is a brick-constructed (can be heated in winter) platform, served as a bed and couch. People sat on Kang with their legs either folded or hanging over the side. Furniture such as low-legged desks, tables and cabinets made specifically for the "Kang" accommodated the many activities that took place there. At night, the furniture would be moved to the side of the Kang, and bedding would be brought out for sleeping on the Kang's surface.)
Size: W33" x D20" x H11"
- Authenticity Appraisal and more photos will be provided upon request.
- (All Sales are Final. No Return Policy.)
- Free Shipping to 48 Continental States. (Hawaii, Alaska and international buyers will pay their own freight and handling fee.)